Our own Montrose High School ASTRA Club was honored with a First Place award by Altrusa International, Inc. for their outstanding service projects that benefited schools and school children locally and internationally. Our local club has won this prestigious international award 5 times.
During the 2008-2009 year, ASTRA completed the following projects:
· Student Scholarship Project – donated $500 to support scholarships for needy youth at Montrose High School to pay fees for elective classes such as, music, art, and sports.
· Tandem Families –purchased Christmas presents for 30 needy area youth. The club shopped for and wrapped the presents.
· Breast and Cervical Cancer – hosted a workshop about teen breast cancer and cervical cancer issues. Altrusans supplied brunch items and ASTRA advertised the event to high school students. This event tied into our participation and support of the Bosom Buddies Walk-Run.
· Youth Experiencing Grief - served as coat checkers and servers for Hospice and Palliative Care of Western Colorado’s benefit gala. The club “flocked” the event with 80 flamingos and donated all of their tips from coat checking to support the Youth in Grief program.
· Nurturing Parenting Program - babysat infants and toddlers for 3.5 hours per week for 16 weeks for Hilltop’s Nurturing Parenting Class
· International School Project – purchased school supplies to a remote primary school in the Himalayan region of Nepal.
· Historic Colona School Project – acted as tour guides, sales clerks, and food servers at fundraising events for preserving the historic Colona School,
The Club’s projects connected ASTRA with schools and school children locally and internationally, and benefited our Montrose community.
ASTRA is a volunteer organization for young people, sponsored by local Altrusa Clubs. There are over 100 ASTRA Clubs throughout the United States and in several other countries. Altrusa of Montrose is extremely proud of our ASTRA club for their exceptional dedication to service!